scared thrilled scared thrill scared thrilled

I find most things in life both scary and thrilling. I suppose I should hope it's always this way, but sometimes it feels like an awful lot of work.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

more photos

I spent four days in the home of Achmeddan and his family in the Sahara. We met on the truck from Choum to Agadir, and I just got off in his little village. It was amazing. No water or power, sleeping in a thatch hut, drinking curdled sweetened camel milk in the mornings, sleeping all day and singing under the stars with his friends in the evenings. He was a true prince of the Sahara. Also, there's a picture of a goat in a bag, perfecting for chucking into the backs of trucks. Poor little guys.




3 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Byron and Eileen said...

There is something so intriguing about Northwest Africa; something so different from what most people think of Africa. The culture of Berbers is so different from Sub-Saharan Africa. I am stoked you are over there, enjoying to tea, the curdled camel and goats milk. Pray for health... because there are many opportunities to easily lose your bowels.
Where are you headed from there?

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oooh...ahhhh! i'm pretty envious right now! would have loved to actually travel within Mali, Ivory Coast, Senegal! thanks for posting pics and writing..you're in my prayers.. safe travels!

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Martin Penner said...

health so far has been just fine. alhamdoulilah. I'm currently in northern Senegal, and the route from here is as follows, inshallah:
-more of Senegal
-the Gambia
-Guinea Bissau
-Guinea
-Mali
-Burkina Faso
-Benin
-Togo
-Ghana
-Cote D'Ivoire
-back to Paris for a couple of months.

That's a lot of distance in just a few months, so I have some spots where I can re-assess and adjust if I'm making too slow of progress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home