scared thrilled scared thrill scared thrilled

I find most things in life both scary and thrilling. I suppose I should hope it's always this way, but sometimes it feels like an awful lot of work.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Serial Killer? this guy?






Pictures:
-Michael K. and I enjoying a fabulous sandwich in Amsterdam
-Me and the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia... somehow it felt like home
-My roomates in Amsterdam: Aimer, Pedja, Mathew
-My first smokeable rolled cigarette. Thanks Harco.

I'm officially on my own now, and it's a
wonderful and different experience. I spent two extra days in
Amsterdam with some friends from the program, then caught a ride with
a Hungarian guy named Lazlo through hitchhikers.org. While Lazlo was certainly an odd bird, he turned out not to be a serial killer, which was nice. After 17 hours in a tiny car with three other people, lots of luggage, my guitar in my
a tiny car with four people and loads of luggage and my guitar in my
lap and no window-opening during the rain (which continued almost the
whole way) we arrived here in Budapest at 6 this morning. 55 euros
for the ride. Not bad thinks I! While Lazlo went to catch some zzzs
before continuing on to Brezcexebeaba or something like that, Harco
(one of the other riders) and I walked around the city, visiting a
palace, a cathedral, the subterranean catacombs which have housed, in
their turn, prehistoric cave-persons, Hungarian royalty in hiding,
stores in preparation for the seiges of Buda, German Nazis (apparently
10,000 of them) and now us! We then walked around the city
till it was time for him to meet Lazlo to continue on the journey. I
decided to stay in Budapest at least for tonight, possibly tomorow
night as well. The idea is to check into a hostel, found some good
ones online for very cheap, then coerce them into helping me figure
out how to get to Moldavia by train from here. So far it sounds
difficult and slow, but very exciting. The region of Transylvania and
the Carpathian mountains must both be crossed before I reach the
fabled wonders of Chisinau. I'm taking extra garlic and wooden spikes
in case I meet the count.
I'm getting excited about my trip through rural Hungary and Romania, the only dilemma is whether or not I leave Budapest before the final on Sunday. Allez Les Bleues! Vous avez volé mon coeur!
Got to go. Much research to do. Hope you're all brilliant and that it's not as hot where you are as it is here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home